The Short Third-Person Version
I was born in May 1978 in Calumet City, IL. I was raised on The Beatles, 50s pop-rock & science-fiction/horror movies. While attending high school in boring NW Indiana (not too far from where Michael Jackson suffered a traumatic childhood), I discovered alternative rock and played guitar & keys in a couple of bands that never went anywhere, and passed the time making homemade movies with friends and became an aspiring filmmaker. I spent most of my 20s trying to decide if I loved music or movies more. Then in my latter 20s, I discovered podcasting, and began hosting and making guest appearances wherever I could.
Currently, I am back in graduate school studying social work and psychology. My main goal is to help others through one-on-one clinical counseling. I occasionally update a neuroscience/psychology blog, while this one serves as a pop-culture and photography blog. I am an avid fan of intellectual conversation mainly about anything related to movies, pop culture and neuroscience. I have also recorded a number of compositions under the moniker, Garden on a Trampoline. Recording original songs is less of a priority these days, but I co-host Director’s Club and started a new podcast focusing on interviewing individuals about the Stories of Our Lives. Come see what movies I watch and rate over at Letterboxd as well.
These are a few of my favorite things
- Books: Master of Space & Time, Cat’s Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Livability, High Fidelity, Snow Country, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Snow Crash, A Simple Plan, The Road, Lolita, Franny & Zooey, The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, Of Grief & Reason.
- Movies: Paris Texas, The Apartment, After Hours, Magnolia, Fearless, Broadcast News, The Conversation, Lost In America, The Thing, Synecdoche New York, Manhattan, Barton Fink, Meek’s Cutoff, Bringing Up Baby, Amelie, Waitress, Rushmore, La Strada, Harold & Maude, Take This Waltz, Away From Her, Let the Right One In, Dead Ringers, Wonder Boys, Back To The Future, Georgia (1995), Chungking Express, I Heart Huckabees, All The Real Girls, Pump Up The Volume, Phantom of The Paradise, The Double Life of Veronique, Safe, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
- Shows: In Treatment, Community, Spaced, Twin Peaks, The Wonder Years, Breaking Bad, Louie, Girls, Mad Men, Veronica Mars, It’s Always Sunny, The Wire, Quantum Leap, The State/Stella, Kids in The Hall, Gilmore Girls, Six Feet Under, Freaks and Geeks, Wonderfalls, Felicity.
- Music: The Afghan Whigs, Tom Waits, Fiona Apple, Prince, The National, Brian Eno, LCD Soundsystem, Frank Ocean, Peggy Lee, Why?, Superchunk, Phantogram, The Frames, Beach House The Magnetic Fields, Wilco, Sleigh Bells, The Carpenters, Portishead, Rufus Wainwright, Neutral Milk Hotel, E.L.O, Galaxie 500, Jens Lekman, Radiohead, Low, Velvet Underground, Neil Young, The Zombies, Belle And Sebastian, Peter Gabriel, This Mortal Coil, Cocteau Twins, Talking Heads, My Bloody Valentine, Otis Redding, classical.
- Food: Breakfast Skillets, Sandwiches (w/Avocado), Soup, Fruit, Veggies, Veggie Pizza, Burritos, Pita Bread, Falafel, Pomegranates, Hummus, Ginger Ale, Ginger + Whiskey, Fancy Beer. A wise gal once said Garlic and Ginger is all you really need. I mostly eat veggies but I’m more open to just about any cuisine without any major restrictions.
- Podcasts: This American Life, Radiolab, You Made It Weird! WTF w/Marc Maron, Film Junk, Film Jive, Mental Illness Happy Hour, Jordan Jesse Go!, The Tobolowsky Files, TEDTalks, The Pod F. Tompkast, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, WGN’s Nick Digilio Midnight Movie Reviews.
- Directors: Paul Thomas Anderson, Sam Raimi, Billy Wilder, Kelly Reichardt, Terrence Malick, David Gordon Green, David Cronenberg, Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola, Robert Altman, Wong Kar-Wai, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Miranda July, Sarah Polley, Errol Morris, Werner Herzog.